Embedded Eye

Give your gizmo the gift of sight

Brilliant design. 

I've been using the teensy-3 (pjrc.com) which is a 96Mhz 32bit arm processor (with 16-bit adcs - thing arduino-due in a Nano package) for some of my designs (it's programmable through arduino IDE with most standard libraries working). Would there be any problems using the stonyman with a 3v processor such as the Due or teensy-3? library problems? 

for example, one of my projects used a teensy-3 with a generic 10 DOF IMU (tripple axis magnetometer, accelerometer, gyroscope and BMP85 pressure sensor).  I had to ditch the libraries and put the needed functions in my actual sketches (the devices are I2c, and the libraries I found for each of the chips compiled and ran on my uno, nano and teensy-2 (all are 328 and 32u4 based 8 bit arduinos) but would not compile (gave nonsensical errors in the ? libraries?) for the arm-cortex based teensy-3.  The main problem which I didn't want to correct in the libraries appeared to be due to data types, I imagine that the 32-bit arm data types and register access for the I2c devices was part of the problem but don't really know. 

The reason I want to give this a go is because going from the 1K or 2K ram and 16MHz 8-bit processor (Uno, nano etc.) to  16K ram/32-bit at 6X the speed (teensy-3)  would mean that I can keep the entire sensor values in a ram array to play with. It might even be fun to re-do the aphid with the teensy-3 (which has a built in 16bit a/d converter).

I've ordered a StonymanLens breakout and will give it a go after my students and I do the examples with a nano (our preferred platform). but would like your thoughts and help with the libraries. (it'll probably be the same or similar isues anyone is having with the arm based arduino Due (which is also 3.3V and a 32 bit cortex).  

Gong from 8-bit arduino to the "Teensy-3 is a 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4 CPU (M4 = DSP extensions) might open up some extreme advantages if you can use SIMD instructions (single instruction multi data) in 4 x 8 bit data structures and take advantage of some of the built in DSP features. I'm thinking much more than a 6X speed improvement is possible. 

(oops, - my "cheers, well done; any success with 32 bit Due/arms?" has now turned into a half page)

Views: 750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greg- I just bought a Teensy 3.0 to play with. This thing looks nice! I agree the specs are nice (decent speed, 32 bits, that nice ADC, and a whopping 2.9 grams!). It shouldn't be too difficult to make a breakout board that connects one (or more!) of our chips to this Teensy.

I haven't tried programming it yet, but will tackle that in the next few days. I'll share with you what I find out.

Geof

RSS

© 2017   Created by Geoffrey L. Barrows.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service